Tuesday, April 22, 2008

happy earth day - "planting the seeds"

Since the beginning of April, I've been teaching Fallon more about recycling , waste, saving energy/water, eating healthy, etc. I volunteered with the school's week of activities of planting, recycling and teaching why it's important to protect the environment. The moms came together to dig holes, plant bushes and flowers outside the school, while the kids got down and dirty, touched worms, dirt and experienced gardening. It was fun to watch them and I know they loved it too! I had also asked Whole Foods to participate by way of their very generous donation to the Merryhill kids (reusable bags, treats, coloring books, stickers and gift baskets of cleaning products and body products).

Even though we practice it at home on a daily basis, I underestimated the ability of a 3 year-old to grasp the idea of being green. Everyone has different values and impress them upon their children. My parents raised us Catholic and to be thoughtful, caring citizens. I appreciated these values growing up and get it more now as a parent. And now, as a parent, we try to teach our kids the same values along with green living. It's never too early to teach or to learn. Plant those seeds! I am very proud to witness the fruits of our labor especially when Fallon expresses her care for people and things - including the environment.